Grilled Steaks with Shiitake Mushrooms in Whole Grain Mustard Sauce
- 6 boneless steaks 8-10 ounces each
- 1 ½ tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce divided
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 ½ tablespoons whole grain mustard
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons plan yogurt
- ½ cup plus 1 tablespoon full-bodied red wine
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary
- Kosher salt
- 1 ½ tablespoons butter
- 8 ounces shiitake mushrooms stems removed, caps quartered.
- Prepare a medium fire in the grill. Rub the steaks all over with the olive oil and 1 tablespoon of the soy sauce. Season them generously with pepper.
- In a medium bowl mix the remaining tablespoon of soy sauce, the mustard, tomato paste, yogurt, wine and rosemary. Season with salt and pepper to taste and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet set over medium heat and sauté the mushrooms, stirring occasionally, until just browned and tender, about 5 minutes.
- Grill the steaks, letting each side get a bit crusty for a total of 8 to 10 minutes for rare to medium rare. Transfer the steaks to a warm platter and tent them with foil while they rest for about 10 minutes.
- Set the skillet with the mushrooms over low heat and add the reserved sauce along with any accumulated juices from the platter the steak is on. Simmer, stirring occasionally for 1 to 2 minutes. Spoon the sauce over the steaks and serve immediately.