Pork Spareribs Braised in Red Wine
- 5 pounds pork spareribs cut into 2 rib pieces
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium onions cut into ½ inch dice
- 2 carrots cut into ½ inch pieces
- 2 ribs celery cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 cups sturdy red wine
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 2 anchovy fillets rinsed and patted dry
- 1 bunch rosemary
- Place the spareribs in a large pot, cover with cold water and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for about half an hour. Reserve the cooking water but remove the ribs and let cool. Take about 4 cups of the water and put it in a medium pot, bring to a boil and reduce by half and set aside. (Save the rest of the water for soup or anywhere else you’d like to add some pork flavor).
- In a large Dutch oven heat the olive oil over high heat until almost smoking. Add the onions, carrots and celery and cook until golden brown, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Add the wine, reserved cooking water, tomato sauce, anchovies and rosemary and bring it all to a boil. Add the spareribs, cover and bring back to a boil. Lower the heat to a simmer and cook until the ribs are fork-tender, about 1½ hours. Transfer to shallow bowls and serve.